Friday, May 21, 2004

Justification Part 2

Now let us turn our attention to Abu Ghraib. I, for some reason I haven't figured out yet, listened to Rush and Hannity today. On both shows they discussed the situation at Abu Ghraib. Both men stated that what happened there was nowhere near as bad as what happened during Husseins reign. What differenc does it make what happened under him? We are not him and trying to push this story aside because it might hurt Bushs chances is idiotic. No, I don't think Bush is to blame.

While I don't think that what happened is in any way torture, it does go against everything this country stands for. The people who did this should be, and are being, punished to the harshest degree. But let's not get asinine and act like it doesn't mean anything.

I do not care, in the least, what the world thinks of us. What I do care about is how we see ourselves as a nation. We stand, or should at least, for what is good in the world. When we act like the person, in a small way, that we disposed, how are we proving to ourselves that we are the good guys?

Don't get me wrong, we're only talking 12, so far, out of 135,000 soldiers on the ground in Iraq. That is a tiny percentage, .00008889%, but, it is a fraction that we should not want and that we should in no way try and justify.

I would like to take this chance to thank the soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan for the service they have done in the name of this country. You guys bust your asses for very little thanks and we should be ashamed of ourselves for not giving you the honor that you deserve. Thank you.