Friday, May 21, 2004

Justification

I find it fascinating that a lot of people in the world try and justify evil. In my readings, in debate, and on the television I often hear " What happened on 9/11 was evil but,". There should be no "but", it was evil, full stop. To try and justify what happened is giving license to the same evil that was perpetrated. I have yet to hear a leading Muslim decry this event without adding that "but". I do not need to try and understand why these people chose to do what they did because what they did was pure evil. They took planes and destroyed two buildings and tried and destroy another. In the process, they took nearly 3000 lives. I should try and understand this? No thank you. It was pure hatred that made these people want to do this and, as for me, I don't want to understand hatred.

Before I get comments stating I hate Islam, I most certainly do not. What I do not like is extremism, of any kind, be it Muslim, Christian or name your religion.

What I do want is to see outrage in the Muslim faith about what happened without hearing that word, "but". I really don't think it's too much to ask.