Saturday, June 05, 2004

Goodbye Ronnie

I really wasn't intending on posting about President Reagan but having read some comments by the moonbats, I have to have my say.

There are some wonderful tributes out there, already and I can in no way come close to what some people are saying but, I want to tell you what Ronnie meant to me as a teenage boy.

When he first went into office I was 10 years old and didn't really care about who, or, for that matter, what a president was. My first insight was on the day he was shot. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to shoot that nice man. My parents, he was the first republican they ever voted for, tried to explain to me that there were sick people in the world who wanted to hurt others. Being 10, I said, okay, and went on with whatever it was I was doing.

As I grew older I came to realise what a strong man he was, he reminded me of my own father. He was also a gentle caring man who laughed at silly things. He was a person I could understand, and he just happened to be the leader of the free world. I remember the pride I felt when, standing by the wall, he said " Mr. Gorbachov, tear down this wall." It was the first time I truly felt any form of partiotism.

He made me understand that, although we were the most powerful country on earth, we could still use a gentleness when dealing with others. He also taught me that, sometimes, that power needs to be used.

Looking back now, there are some things I disagree with, that he did but, as a whole, he was one of the greatest presidents this country has ever had. He was a leader who understood how to lead, in a time when we needed a man who could lead.

To quote him, in part, he has " slipped the surly bonds of Earth".

God bless your great soul.

Good bye Ronnie.