Sunday, July 04, 2004

Things to be thankful for

We have a lot to be grateful for in this country and we should all take time over this weekend to think about those who helped and who are helping us to keep that freedom. We can never thank them enough for the sacrifices that they made and are making for us.

We should be thankful for the oppurtunity to dissent. There are many things I disagree with with our present administration, I haven't shared them yet because more important things have been going on. I am very thankful that I have the chance to have my say. I can to it here, in debate groups, with my duly elected officials and in the voting booth. Never take for granted this oppurtunity, speak up and speak out.

We have the freedom to worship as we please. No matter if you're Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, satanist, etc... You can worship in your way in this country. Again, don't take this for granted, other countries of the world don't allow this.

We are the most open society in the world. We allow anyone, within reason, onto our shores. This can and has hurt us but it is a basic tenant of our belief as a country.

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”


I could go on and on but I think it's important that we all look at the importance and uniqueness of this country in our own way so, please take a minute to think about what a wonderful land you live in.

Happy Birthday America