Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Voting delays

I've been mulling over the debate on whether it is a good idea to delay the elections in case of a terrorist attack. I have to tell you, I'm torn.

I can see both sides of this argument and, I agree with both sides.

Side 1.
It is important that we have rules in affect so that if, God forbid, something does happen, everyone gets the opportunity to vote.

Let's face it, September 11 changed many thing and we have to look at everything in a new light. If a terrorist attack were to take place just prior to or on the day of the election many people would be unable to vote. We heard a lot in the last election about the disenfranchisement of voters. How would this be any different?

Side 2.
The date set for presidential elections in this country is the Tuesday after the first Monday in November. To change that would be breaking the law by ignoring the Constitution.

Both very good arguments so, what do we do?

As I sit typing this I think the only thing that can be done is, put it in the hands of the Few States. If the states think that there may be cause for worry, let them come up with a detailed plan on how to handle the elections.

Although it is a Federal election, it still comes down to State matters. If the Federal government were to do this, it would wrong. Elections are a state issue and should be handled as such.