Wednesday, September 01, 2004

The convention: Day 2

I have to be honest, I watched something else. I did, however, flip back and forth so I could gauge the crowds reaction to the speeches. So, I read the speeches, I would recommend everyone read them, you get a better idea of what they are saying. I'll just touch on a few of the things that caught my eye.

Arnold

My family and so many others lived in fear of the Soviet boot. Today, the world no longer fears the Soviet Union and it is because of the United States of America!

But Arnold, don't you know that the U.S. had nothing to do with the fall of the Soviet Union? They collapsed internally, don't ya know?
America gave me opportunities and my immigrant dreams came true. I want other people to get the same chances I did, the same opportunities. And I believe they can. That's why I believe in this country...

This is what's great about America. My grandparents, on both sides, came here in the 20's from Italy. They came because they had dreams of a better way of life. My maternal Grandmother didn't even have money for the passage to come over so, she worked as a nurses assistant on the boat that brought her. When she got to the shores of the U.S. she became a nurse. My grandfather worked for American Can, now Primerica. My other grandfather started his own barber shop, no, he wasn't from Seville. They all made lives for themselves because of the freedom they had here.

Next, Arnold talked about what makes one a Republican,
If you believe that government should be accountable to the people, not the people to the government, then you are a Republican! If you believe a person should be treated as an individual, not as a member of an interest group, then you are a Republican!

Can't argue these.
If you believe your family knows how to spend your money better than the government does, then you are a Republican!

Well, if he's talking about taxes, yes, I agree but, the republicans have been spending an awful lot of my money.
If you believe our educational system should be held accountable for the progress of our children, then you are a Republican!

Unless it's an election year and you're trying to get votes.
If you believe this country, not the United Nations, is the best hope of democracy in the world, then you are a Republican!

Or Zell Miller or Ed Koch.
And, ladies and gentlemen, if you believe we must be fierce and relentless and terminate terrorism, then you are a Republican!

Or an American who understands the threat to this country.
We are still the lamp lighting the world especially for those who struggle. No matter in what labor camp they slave, no matter in what injustice they're trapped, they hear our call, they see our light, and they feel the pull of our freedom. They come here as I did because they believe. They believe in us.
That's the U.S in a nutshell. People still want to cme here because they still see us as a light in a dark world. They see their dreams in America and they come. Because of the world we live in we have to be careful of who we allow in but, they still want to come. Immigrants are the strength of this country and the soul. Let's never forget that because of the hope and dreams of people, we are the country we are.

The full text of the spech can be found here.

The Bush twins
I have to be honest, I thought these two girls sounded like 14 year olds. Their speech was to bubble gum for my taste. The speech writer should be taken to the wood shed and whooped a bit. The only thing that I found even mildly amusing was this:
We had a hamster, too. *grimace* Let's just say it didn't make it.


Okay, I didn't bother to read Laura Bush's speech. I don't see the sense in having the wives speak. They aren't part of the administration and they aren't going to say anything but nice-nice stuff so, phhhhhhh, not gonna bother.