Saturday, September 11, 2004

A day of remembrence

Today is the 3rd anniversary of 9/11. I think it should be a day that all Americans use for introspection. It's a day we should remember that a fight was brought to our shores but it's also a day to remember the heroism that was shown and the true unity that this country can have.

Today is also a "where were you" day so, I'll share mine with you.

I was sitting right here, talking to a friend of mine on IM. She told me that a plane had crashed into a building in New York so, I yelled for my father to put the news on in the living room, I don't have a television in my office. A few minutes later my nephew yelled for me to come look at the TV, I got there just in time to watch the second plane hit. Shock is the only word I can use, although it really doesn't describe how I felt. I turned to my dad and said " terrorists". For the rest of the day all of our eyes stayed glued to the TV. Many tears were shed as we watched the Towers fall. We heard of the plane hitting the Pentegon, I have friends there, thankfully, none were there at the time. We heard of the plane hitting the ground in Penn., that scared me the most, as my daughter lives not far from there. Anger began to grow as I watched these images flash across the screen. A feeling of utter helplessness also came. What could we do to help? How can we show those whose family members were lost that we shared their grief?

An amazing thing began to happen over the next few days, the true spirit of America began to show itself. Funds began pouring into the coffers of every charity you could think of. People began flying their flags again, some think this was just the fanatisism of the moment, I truly believe it was the only way many people felt that they could show we were united. It truly was an awe inspiring thing to seee this country, even if only for a moment, stand as one.

Democrat and Republican. Liberal and conservative. Black and white. It didn't matter what or who you were, for one brief moment, far to brief, we were one. Nothing and no one can come against us when we unite as truly one people. It's time we remember that. Yes, we may disagree on some things but, we are all Americans and the deviseness in this country does nothing to make us stronger. The anger we see in todays election cycle is wrong and it is bad. We do not honor those who died with it.

Let's remember those who died today and remember the unity we all felt.

The list of those who died on 9/11 can be found here.

Read this list. Remember.

NEVER FORGET