Monday, September 20, 2004

It only took them 2 weeks

This falls in the category of, well, DUH.

After days of expressing confidence about the documents used in a "60 Minutes'' report that raised new questions about President Bush's National Guard service, CBS News officials have grave doubts about the authenticity of the material, network officials said last night.

The officials, who asked not to be identified, said CBS News would most likely make an announcement as early as today that it had been deceived about the documents' origins. CBS News has already begun intensive reporting on where they came from, and people at the network said it was now possible that officials would open an internal inquiry into how it moved forward with the report. Officials say they are now beginning to believe the report was too flawed to have gone on the air.

In other words, after 2 weeks of being brow beaten, made fun of, and proven wrong, over and over again, we think it's time to say what everyone knew already.

They say they now believe the documents were too flawed to go forward with. Where was the due diligence we expect from the news media? I'm not one who believes that there is a liberal bias in the media, I think everyone is biased, but, this really has me wondering about CBS.

UPDATE:
Take a look at this. It shows copies of the CBS memos and actual memos out of Killians Files. Very big difference.