Monday, September 13, 2004

TIME's interview with Kerry

The complete interview can be found here.

TIME
What do you need to do to make this race about what you want it to be about?

KERRY
Draw the contrast; be crystal clear about it. That's what I've been doing every day. George Bush has made the wrong choices for America. He's leading the country in the wrong direction. John Edwards and I have better choices. We have a health-care plan for all Americans. We're going to stop subsidizing jobs that go overseas and create jobs here in America. We're going to fund education and not leave millions of children behind every day. The trail of broken promises and reversed decisions of this Administration is unlike any I have ever seen at any time that I have been in public life, and I'm going to draw that picture as clear as a bell.
The problem is Senator Kerry, you have yet to tell anyone how you will do any of the things you're talking about. We know what you say you want to do. How will you do it?
TIME
Speaking of clarity, a number of your allies have said that you haven't drawn a clear contrast between yourself and President Bush on Iraq.

KERRY
The contrast could not be clearer. They spent a lot of money trying to confuse people, but I have been consistent.
You have been consistant? You changed your mind on Iraq at least 4 times over the last 45 days. You say one thing in Dearborn and another in Tampa. Consistant? I don't think so Senator.
TIME
What did you think of the speech of your Democratic colleague Zell Miller at the Republican Convention?

KERRY
Everybody has the right to give a speech. I didn't see it, and I haven't read it. I didn't see one minute of the convention.
Hmmmmmmm, that's interesting. Seems I saw you watching the Republican convention in a documentary I watched on the Discovery Channel last night. Care to change your answer Senator?
TIME
It sounds as if you think the Bush strategy is based on scaring the country.

KERRY
I think they are trying to do everything possible to divert attention from the real issues in front of the country, and their entire strategy for six months has been distorting my record and attacking me because they don't have a record to run on.
"Divert attention from the real issues" This is exactly the problem. Russia found out last week just what happens when you ignore that most important problem facing the world today. They have changed their tune, don't you think you should Senator?

Go read it, it's more of the same, answer without answering. If you are looking for answers on where Kerry stands on any given issue, don't bother reading. It's about what I've come to expect from him, vague and elusive answers.