Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Yawn fest

That was the most uninteresting thing I have ever watched. If you don't know what I'm talking about, thank God you don't. Yes, I know debates aren't supposed to be exciting but, God, that was bad.

Best quote of the night.

Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session.

The first time I ever met you was when you walked on the stage tonight.


Most telling comments
EDWARDS: Thank you.

The vice president suggests that we have the same number of countries involved now that we had in the first Gulf War. The first Gulf War cost the American people $5 billion.


Um, senator, in the Gulf War, we were only kicking Iraq out of Kuwait, this time it's just a tad different.

And regardless of what the vice president says, we're at $200 billion and counting. Not only that, 90 percent of the coalition casualties, Mr. Vice President, the coalition casualties, are American casualties. Ninety percent of the cost of this effort are being borne by American taxpayers. It is the direct result of the failures of this administration.

IFILL: Mr. Vice President?

CHENEY: Classic example. He won't count the sacrifice and the contribution of Iraqi allies. It's their country. They're in the fight. They're increasingly the ones out there putting their necks on the line to take back their country from the terrorists and the old regime elements that are still left. They're doing a superb job. And for you to demean their sacrifices strikes me as...

EDWARDS: Oh, I'm not...

CHENEY: ... as beyond...

EDWARDS: I'm not demeaning...

CHENEY: It is indeed. You suggested...

EDWARDS: No, sir, I did not...

CHENEY: ... somehow they shouldn't count, because you want to be able to say that the Americans are taking 90 percent of the sacrifice. You cannot succeed in this effort if you're not willing to recognize the enormous contribution the Iraqis are increasingly making to their own future.

I think this was the single most important thing said tonight. Kerry/Edwards does not want to count the Iraqi government as part of the coalition. Sorry for them but, they most certainly are. The Iraqi government, and more importantly, the Iraqi people are making more and more sacrifices. For them to discount, and that is what they were doing, is unbelievable.

The whole debate was nothing more than we've heard all along. I won't go into detail because, it just isn't worth it. If I had to call this one, I'd give it to the Vice President by a small margin.

The transcript can be found here.

UPDATE: More can be found here, here, here, here and here.

Clearly these folks thought more of this debate than I did.